Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ethiopia Days 1-2

Alrighty, here goes... figure I'll post some pictures of each segment of the trip and tack on some of my journal entries as well.

We left our house at 3:45am on Wednesday, Sep. 30th to make it to the airport for our 6:50am flight from Phoenix to Minneapolis. Everything with our flight went smoothly, and once in Minneapolis we met up with our friends Josh and Renee (who we met online) who were adopting 2 little boys through our same agency. We enjoyed eating lunch at Chili's with them, and we were on the same flights together for the remainder of our journey to Ethiopia. It was fun to meet up with another family from our travel group and share in our excitement together!!
Micah enjoys the use of his iphone one last time before heading out of the country...
Here's the plane that carried us from Minneapolis to Amsterdam. It was funny because we actually flew Northwest, but due to the merger with Delta, many of our planes were actually Detla planes. Since KLM is their international partner, we also had that name in the mix!
The KLM plane took us from Amsterdam to Sudan to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia!
Short layover in Sudan, but we didn't actually get off the plane.

Sudan from the air
Tired, but happy, as we prepare for the final leg of our flight journey :)
Meeting up with our travel group and drivers in the Addis Ababa (Bole International) Airport

The Union Hotel, our home for the next seven nights!
It was comparable to a Motel 6 in the U.S.
"It's just past 1:00am on Friday, October 2nd and we are finally settled in our hotel room at the Union Hotel, preparing to sleep. The travel time was looooong, but my Tylenol PM was a lifesaver in helping me get some rest on the plane. Eight of the ten families in our travel group arrived at the airport at about the same time earlier this evening, so we squeezed all of us (and our luggage) into two vans. It was quite amazing that everything, and everybody, actually fit! We all arrived to the hotel about 11:30pm. Our room is on the top floor, and there are only stairs in this building, so I think we'll be in shape by the end of this trip. Honestly, there aren't that many stairs, but the elevation change certainly has catching our breath at the top! It is difficult to wind down after battling the chaos of the airport, and trying to take in all the sights and smells on our drive here (the fact that it was dark made it hard to see much, but it was fun nonetheless). It's also hard to sleep knowing that Mikayla is sleeping right next door to us in Holt's care center. We can look out our window and see the center - almost close enough to touch it! :) We are only separated by a small sidewalk and two gates. Tomorrow morning we have an orientation at the care center with the Holt staff and then we will meet Mikayla! Not sure how I'll sleep tonight, but thankfully I'm tired..."


  1. I'm so excited to read all about your time in Ethiopia!

  2. Yeah (my favorite word these days for you these days)! So excited to hear about the rest of the journey!

  3. Can't wait to read more - what an exciting story!!!

  4. It's been awesome reading your blog all these weeks. Congrats and welcome home! It fills me with so much joy to see how happy and full of sunshine everyone is. :-) -Kari B.