Friday, June 12, 2009

WHAT?!?!? REFERRAL?!?!?

Absolutely amazing news in the Hutchison household... WE GOT A REFERRAL!!!!!! This was totally and completely UNEXPECTED. After all, we were #18! And it has only been 2 months since we submitted our dossier! We are over-the-moon excited... here's the story...

Since Wednesday, I have been on a work retreat at a cabin up north, without cell phone reception or internet access. I thought to myself on my drive up there how ironic it would be if our referral came during the one week that I am "unreachable." I called Micah using a calling card on Wednesday night, but it ran out of minutes while we were talking. He didn't have the chance to tell me that Stephanie (from Holt) left a message for us around 4:30pm that day, saying she had a few questions and wanted to "check on our adoption process." It's probably good he didn't get a chance to tell me that because I might have been tempted to drive all the way home :)

Since the calling card was out of minutes, I figured I would just talk to Micah when I returned home on Friday. But Thursday evening, the cabin phone rang. I left the phone # to the cabin with Micah so he could use it in case of emergencies. When the person who answered said my husband was on the phone, I was wondering if something bad had happened. Here's some of the conversation that followed, to the best of my memory...

Me: Hey what's going on?
Micah: Were you planning on calling me tonight?
Me: No, the calling card ran out, remember? Why what's going on?
Micah: Well, we had a phone call today... from Stephanie at Holt.
Me: (stunned silence) Uh-huh...
Micah: She is wanting to know if we would consider adopting a child slightly older than two years old.
Me: (still stunned) Uh-huh...
Micah: They have a little girl who will be 3 years old in September, and they really want to place her. She said if we are willing to adopt a child older than our original preference, then they will be giving us her referral.
Me: (absolutely shocked, with my co-workers all staring at me) :)

We chatted awhile more (and I then called him again later when everybody was out at the campfire and I regained my composure), and decided that Micah would go ahead and call Stephanie in the morning to tell her to send us the referral information. As you can imagine, I couldn't WAIT to get home! I shared the news with my coworkers and they were so excited for us. They all listened to me blab on and on about it, and were so GREAT in allowing me to process the news. I went to bed that night dreaming about our new little girl.

On the drive home, my coworker pulled our car over into a parking lot as soon as we had cell phone reception so that I could get on the internet and look at the picture of our beautiful little princess. She is adorable. I completely teared up because she looks so sad in her picture, and all I want to do is hug her and bring her home. Unfortunately, we can't post any pics on websites (Ethiopian government doesn't allow it) so you will only be able to see it if you live close enough! We also cannot post her name, but she was named by her birthmother and the name/meaning are so special to us. We will definitely keep her given name as either a first or middle name. For the purpose of this blog I will just call her our "little princess."

The bad news is that it would be close to impossible for us to be assigned a court date prior to the Ethiopian court closure in August/September, so we likely will not pass court or travel until later in the fall. The months ahead will be so hard as we wait to bring her home, but we know God's timing is perfect and He already knows the plan. Little did we know in starting this journey, that His plan was different from ours... but we know His plans are always best, and we move forward trusting in that completely.

So Little Princess... we will come for you soon, we already love you!

17 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! How amazing! Praying for your family and your little princess! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!!! Enjoy your celebrating!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome!!!!!!!! Lee told me about your phone call and I was wondering how you guys were processing. So awesome! Can't wait to see a picture as well as meet her! =)
    -Melissa S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great news!!! Lee told me you got a call and the circumstances and wondered how you guys were processing.... We are so excited for you guys and can't wait to meet her!!! And at least see her pic =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATS!!!!! We are so happy for you! She is lucky to have you as parents!!!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Our referral was quite unexpected also; I remember being in shock for several days. I know that you are so anxious to get your little girl in your arms. I hope that the rest of the process will go smoothly for you!
    Mary Beth
    www.caseypicker.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited for you guys!! Congratulations! Is she in Addis right now? Let me know and I'll keep an eye out for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing. Our story is similar. We put in for a 10-20 month old boy and our sweet Silas was 3 at referral. Wouldn't change it for the world. Silas is PERFECT for our family. Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see what God has in store.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo! How exciting! God chose your little princess for you and He even skipped 17 places to get her to you:) Cannot wait to see pictures. She'll be smiling soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks you guys!!! We are so, so excited (and still somewhat shocked). Your prayers and support and so appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greatest news ever! Congratulations! Can't wait to see pictures of your little princess! Is your son old enough to understand what's going on? How did he react to the news about a little sis?! Oh, you're going to have so much fun with all the girlie clothes and stuff ;). Happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy for you guys. And hey you never know you might make it through before closure. We got our referral on April 6th and found out on May 29th that we had passed court without even knowing we had a court date - it could happen....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bethany, that is so exciting!!
    I do remember meeting you and I'm so glad to see you have a blog so that I can follow your progress!
    Amazing, happy time for you, I pray that you bring her home soon.
    We'll have to get the kids together sometime when you do since my new sons are in the same age group...they turned 3 in May.
    Many congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Hutchison Family!!! What awesome news! It is obvious that the Lord has hand-picked your sweet little girl for your family. I hope you pass court soon!

    Love,
    Julie and Fam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awe, Bethany this is so wonderful (and fast)! I'm just so happy that this little girl has your family to join. This is so exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! What a great, unexpected surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We accepted a referral from Holt for a four year old girl and just got confirmation that our paperwork was received in Ethiopia. We too are hoping to squeeze in before the courts close. I don't know about you but I have my fingers crossed really tightly!
    -Rebecca (from Holt Ethiopia Yahoo site)

    ReplyDelete